Wednesday, December 12, 2007

History of the Pledge of Allegiance

Earlier today I heard from a friend about this email going around her department:

I don't know how many of you saw this on TV, but I did. Notice Bill Richardson and Hillary during the playing of the National Anthem. I wondered at the time, "what the hell is this guy thinking?" Now that he has declared he will no longer wear the American Flag lapel pin (and that is his right and I support his right to make that decision) I understand how someone born a Muslim doesn't want to declare allegiance to OUR country. This is all I need to know about Obama.

The question is, how would he act as President? Perish the thought!

This insanity got me thinking about a lot of things, or course, but I also remembered an article I helped write back in 2002 as a part of the Radical History Workshop at the University of Minnesota on the history of the Pledge of Allegiance. This seems like a good time to look back at that piece published in the University's student newspaper, the Minnesota Daily.

1 comment:

Brad said...

Wow, the linked article with the history of the pledge of allegiance is great stuff! Everyone should know this stuff. Thanks for sharing.