Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Film Review: Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke
1967
2 hrs 6 min
Starring: Paul Newman, George Kennedy
Directed by Stuart Rosenburg

Plot Outline: Luke(Paul Newman) is sent to a prison camp, where he gets a reputation as a hard man. The head of the gang hates him, and tries to break him by beating him up. It doesn't work, and he gains respect. His mother dies, and he escapes, but is caught, escapes again, and is caught again. Will the camp bosses ever break him?

This is another one of those 'classics' that everyone talks about and I felt I needed to see. I actually thought it was a pretty good flick. I always enjoy the prison films. Maybe that's because I always feel like I'm in a prison...but thats a sublject for a different post. Not to mention all the simpsons/family guy references that I finally get...the reflective sunglasses on the guard when Bart is in prison...and the family guy episode where Peter is driving the Pope past a chain gang 'Takin it off there boss.' 'Take it off there Luke.' 'Wavin at the Pope there boss.' 'Wave at the Pope there Luke' Also, I finally know where 'what we've got here is a failure to communicate' comes from! I don't know how many times my dad referenced that and I had no idea what he was talking about...okay, okay, I've strayed so I'll end it.

MarxistGopher's Rating: *******(7 of 10 stars)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So would any movie get 10 of 10 stars on your scale, or even 9 of 10 stars?

MarxistGopher said...

Oh yes! In fact, here are my 9's and 10's...

Lets start with the 10's:

12 Angry Men
About Schmidt
American Beauty
Brassed Off
Bread and Roses
Bulworth
Dead Man Walking
Fahrenheit 9/11
Good Will Hunting
JFK
Kinsey
Matewan
Million Dollar Baby
Mystic River
Office Space
Reds
Roger & Me
The Shawshank Redemption
Stand by Me
The War Room
-------------------------

And the 9's:

Amistad
And the Band Played On
The Assassination of Richard Nixon
Berkeley in the '60s
The Bourne Identity
The Cider House Rules
Contact
Cradle Will Rock
Cry Freedom
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to
Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Driving Miss Daisy
Far from Heaven
Gandhi
The Graduate
The Grapes of Wrath
Harlan County, U.S.A.
Hoosiers
Hotel Rwanda
No Man's Land
Norma Rae
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Philadelphia
Saving Private Ryan
Schindler's List
Sling Blade
Spinning Boris
Star Wars
Thelma & Louise
Vera Drake
Wag the Dog
Waking Ned Devine
Wall Street

MarxistGopher said...

oops...just realized I forgot Bowling for Columbine. That should be a 10!

MarxistGopher said...

Ah, what the hell...here's the 8's too:

The Accused
All the President's Men
As Good as It Gets
Battaglia di Algeri, La
The Big One
Billy Elliot
The Birdcage
Boys Don't Cry
Braveheart
The Candidate
The China Syndrome
Dave
Dead Poets Society
Dogville
E.T.
Field of Dreams
Frenzy
Gettysburg
Glory
The Great Escape
Groundhog Day
Harlan County War
The Hours
Human Nature
I Am Sam
Insomnia
Iron Jawed Angels
Jaws
The Killing Fields
Leaving Las Vegas
Lone Star
Malcolm X
Maria Full of Grace
Men with Guns
Midnight Cowboy
Miracle
Mississippi Burning
My Fellow Americans
North by Northwest
Nothing to Lose
The Pianist
Primary Colors
Psycho
Quiz Show
Rain Man
Rear Window
Rope
Runaway Jury
Seabiscuit
The Shipping News
The Silence of the Lambs
Sleepers
Smoke
Sophie's Choice
Stalingrad
Super Size Me
Taxi Driver
There's Something About Mary
The Thin Red Line
The Truman Show
Unprecedented: The 2000 Presidential Election
Untergang, Der
The War at Home
The War of the Worlds
What About Bob?
Where Eagles Dare
The Yes Men
Zulu