Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Making A Summer Work Schedule...why is it so hard?!

I've been sitting here this morning trying to figure out a new work schedule for the summer, and have found it much harder than I had anticipated. Do I want to work 4 long days, 5 8hr days, 7 short days, or more likely some combination of long and short days. It's also quite sad because I'm trying to figure out what times my friends 'might' want to get together and work my schedule around those 'mights.' This is the only catch in my schedule, as I have absolutely nothing going on all summer...well except basketball on Tuesday nights at 5:30, but that's easy enough to work around. And since I only see me friends maybe once every 2 weeks or so I really have nothing preventing me from working any schedule I want.

So my idea was to do something crazy...like a crazy split schedule(8-11am and 8-11pm). Why not? What's stopping me? ....or an even crazier split schedule(7-9am, 11-am-1pm, 3-5pm, 7-9pm) Why Not? It would be different and interesting, and would certainly break up my day! ...of course I could just stay with something conventional(6-2:30 M-F) or a later start (10-6 M-F), or a nice spread out (7-12:30 7 days a week.) I really have to life so I can do whatever the hell I want. Hell, I should just get a second job and earn some extra cash but way too lazy to do that. I hate work!

The other thing I'm taking into consideration is that I might want to build in a 2 hr. lunch 1 day a week so I can go out to lunch with my friend Squinty who'll be working here full time in the summer. (that is assuming of course that Squinty will want to have lunch with me once a week) So that adds another level of complexity to my decision making. This just reminds me how much I hate have a 30 min unpaid lunch! What a waste! It's not enough time to go out to lunch and barely enough time to heat up something in the lunchroom and choke it down before I have to get back to my desk) ...and believe me I've tried stretching my lunch out to do what I want for food and then just stay late at the end of the day to make up the time, but I got in trouble for that. Can you tell that I'm disgruntled today!

It's nice to have the luxury to set my own schedule, but I feel I'm screwing myself somehow no matter how a schedule my time at the acid mines... I think the problem is that I just really don't want to be here at all, so no matter what time of the day and week I'm here I'm going to be unhappy....but I guess I'm unhappy when I'm at home too so what’s the difference. Well, maybe I'll just keep the same schedule I have now.

Alright, enough bitching for now. Lets get on with another long meaningless day...

No comments: