Saturday, April 23, 2005

Draft Day Preview


Well, it's 2 1/2 hrs before the draft starts, so its probably a little late for this preview, as no one will have time to read it....however...I'm going to indulge myself anyhow. I'm not going to take the time to go through every pick because it would take too long. I will, however, talk about the Vikings picks.

The #1 pick belongs to the now embarrassing San Francisco 49ers. I'm sure they'd like to pull a Vikings and not make a pick at all to save money. But that probably won't fly, so they're just going to take Alex Smith, QB - Utah. I don't think he's going to be a great NFL quarterback...see Rex Grossman.

#7 - Minnesota Vikings...I think the Vikings would do themselves well taking Mike Williams of Cedric Benson here(this is assuming of course that we all agree Braylon Edwards is going very high). The problem is they(Benson & Williams) may be gone by the 7th pick. My guess...Benson goes #4 to the Bears and Williams goes at #6 to Tennessee, leaving the Vikings stranded. They'll then look to trade...maybe succeed...but I think they'll settle for Antrel Rolle, CB-Miami. blah! ...UPDATE(Please don't take Troy Williamson here...bad pick!)

The Vikings come up again at #18. I'm hoping against hope that Erasmus James falls to them. I think that's the perfect pick for the Vikes. However, I don't think he'll be there. That leaves the Vikings in pickle again. I think they look for a receiver here if they don't get Williams at #7. (Troy Williamson, WR - South Carolina ot Mark Clayton, WR - Oklahoma) Also, if David Pollack, DE - Georgia is available, that would be a good pick. My guess- I think Williamson is gone so they go with Mark Clayton, WR - Oklahoma.

Moving to the second round....#17(49th overall) The Vikings should definately take Mike Nugent here if he's available. They desperatly need a kicker and I don't think using a second round pick on Nugent is a bad idea at all. They probably won't do that though...actually I have no idea what they'll decide to do here. So, keeping that in mind, my (sentimental) pick is Marion Barber, RB - Minnesota.

So, to sum up:

My fantasy draft for the Vikes-
1st Round:#7- Mike Williams, WR - USC
1st Round:#18-Erasmus James, DE - Wisconsin
2nd Round:#49-Mike Nugent, K - Ohio State
3rd round:#80-Marion Barber, RB - Minnesota

My (fatalistic) Vikings draft prediction-
1st Round:#7- Troy Williamson, WR - South Carolina
1st Round:#18-David Pollack, DE - Georgia
2nd Round:#49-No idea...some loser
3rd round:#80-Who cares!

No comments: