Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Film Review: Insomnia


Insomnia
2002
1 hr 56 min
Directed by Chistopher Nolan
Starring Al Pacino, Robin Williams, Hilary Swank

Plot Outline: Two Los Angeles homicide detectives are dispatched to a northern town where the sun doesn't set to investigate the methodical murder of a local teen.

This is an exremely underrated movie. It is probably one of, if not the best thriller/mystery that I've ever seen. The addition of the main detective character being stricken with insomnia because of 24 hr sunlight is what makes this film. I thought at times that it reminded me of Hitchcock, but it never quite got to that point...if it had I probably would have given it a nine. The movie takes a surprising turn early on that changes the complextion of the film for the better. I would highly recommend this movie to everyone.

MarxistGopher's Rating: ********(8 of 10 stars)

No comments: