Thursday, December 20, 2007

The Great Source Jubilee Game Raid of 07!

WARNING! VERY NERDY CONTENT AHEAD!

On Saturday December 15th things got a little crazy. The Source comic and game store in St. Paul had their annual "Source Jubilee." I knew there was going to be a sale and free food so I showed up to look for a game called "On the Underground" that I played on Friday night with J & D. When I walked into the store I saw a collection of nerds, geeks, and dorks that I never thought was possible to see in one place (except a Star Trek convention).


After fighting through the maze of
geeks I discovered I was standing directly in front of the only copy of "On the Underground," and saw signs that said everything in the store was 20% off. "hmmmm, maybe I should pick up another game at 20% off."

Suddenly I hear a conversation over my shoulder. One of the nerds is on the cell phone....."Everything in the store is 20% off and the military games are 50% off!" Now my thoughts run back through every game I've ever wanted to buy as I rush over to the military games section.


I quickly discover that the games have been
picked over fairly well. (It was about 12:30 and they opened up at 10am.) I looked for the WW2 block game that I wanted to buy. It was $100, so I knew I had to buy it at $50! But alas, all 3 copies were already gone. I spent the next 45 minutes looking through the piles of remaining games and found a few gems.

As I was about to leave I thought I'd give J & my bro M a
call, as they are nearly as dorky as me. I made my $232 purchase, hauled my games out in a garbage bag to the car, and then came back in the store to find J & D, who had just arrived. I walked around and looked some more with them for about 20 minutes. They picked up a few games and I bolted to M's house to show off the new games.

After a couple hours at M's house of game talk he decided he needed to
make his own run to The Source to find any gems left in the 50% off military game section. So I went back for a 3rd time in a day. M picked up a bunch of games, and I decided to pick up 2 more.....why not?

It was really a great day. We've got enough games to last us for a good while. The only issue now is finding the time to play them. I've got nothing but free time on my hands, but my game playing comrades on the other hand have real jobs, families and loved ones. So they could be a bit tougher to get in one place for 6-8 hours. But we'll do the best that we can. To all of those dorky gamers out there I say......"Nerds of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but your wedgies!"

I was trying to post all the photos on The MarxistGopher Report itself and then have descriptions of each game. Unfortunately I'm having technical problems doing that, so I just have to link to the photos. You can check out all the game images here!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's what I'm talking about!

Anonymous said...

How about a list and brief description of each of the games you bought?